DAVID LENNOX PARRAMATTA AND VICTORIA- Superintendent of Bridges
During his time in Parramatta he also built the very substantial stone Wharf at Queens Wharf, it can still be found near Queens Wharf, George Street, Parramatta in 2013. Lennox was also commissioned to build Town Markers, a large piece of sandstone, with a pyramid on the top. Lennox had a convict stone mason named Weston fashion them on one face carve the inscription both bold and italice script, Parramatta Geo Gipps Knight Governor 1839. The markers determined the town of Parramatta, there were nine markers made, today six remain as a testament of Lennox's employment in Parramatta.
Photographs courtesy Andrew Scott Bird.
David Lennox also designed and built his house, the street has been renumbered so today the house is at 39 Campbell Street, Parramatta, it has been altered over time, when he built it in 1855, he lived there until his death on 12 November 1873. It is State Heritage Listed.
David Lennox buried with his daughter Mary Urquhart, and Charles Rowling
St John's Cemetery, Parramatta. Photograph courtesy of Judith Dunn OAM
During his time as Suprintendent of Bridges David Lennox built 53 Bridges in New South Wales and Victoria, most of those were wooden structures, he built the Princes Bridge in Melbourne over the Yarra River, commenced in 1844, it was completed in 1850 and the Official Opening was held on 18 November 1850, it was named after the Prince of Wales, later to become Edward VII. Photograph courtesy State Library of Victoria. It remained in place until 1886 when it was replaced.
David Lennox oversaw the construction of the Liverpool Dam, one of the first engineered weirs built in New South Wales, which supplied water to the town and served as a causeway across Georges River. The Weir was constructed under the supervision of Captain Christie of the 80th Regiment, assistant engineer and superintendent of iron gangs in the Town of Liverpool.
The second record of brick making is in connection with the building of the Duck Creek Bridge 1833-1836. The bridge previous to this was a pioneer log type and was burned down during a bush fire. A temporary bridge was built a little further down the creek. The builders were Bob Gooch and Bill Burch two famous builders from Parramatta. Robert Goch was a noted bricklayer and contract builder; he built the Darling Mills in Parramatta North. The bricks were made from a pit on the south east side of the bridge between the creek and Clyde Street, Sydney Road. The bridge designed by Lennox was opened by Governor Richard Bourke in January 1836. While the arch is still visible, the structure of the bridge has been altered when the Sydney Road (now Parramatta Road) was widened.
The pages telling the story of David Lennox is dedicated to the Late Frank Bloxham, a fine gentleman, a dedicated historian for Parramatta and it's History.
Thank you to
Granville Historical Society Inc
Judith Dunn OAM
Bruce Michael Edgar FRSA
Scott Andrew Bird
June M Bullivant OAM
Barry G Bullivant OAM