Tregothnan-144 Good Street, Granville
For years the Parramatta Council has tried to take over the houses in Harris Park, in 2016 they accomplished it by amalgamation. Since the inception of the Granville Historical Society, 30 years ago the boundary was Alice Street, Harris Park. This is the boundary that we set when the organisation was formed. We work on the history of Granville with that in mind. In 2018 Parramatta Council has claimed the area, but for all intents and purposes, it is still the history of Granville.
’TREGOTHNAN’’ CORNER GOOD AND CROWN STREETS HARRIS PARK
This is a large two-storey Federation house of tuck-pointed red brickwork, with hipped and gabled roof surmounted by two large chimneys with elaborate string courses and dentils.
It has two-storey verandas on the north and east sides, timber floors, paired timber posts and stiff brackets carved in arabesques. Cedar and redwood are used throughout this sprawling nine roomed home, the fireplaces are original and well maintained; much of Tregothnan original splendour is intact. Situated on a generous corner block with a well-established garden, it is the highest point in Harris Park and has a trig station in its front garden, which was once used for land surveying. The property formed part of the first land grant to James Ruse in 1789.
The house was originally built for Mr C E Byrnes, a Parramatta solicitor who lived in the house from 1902-1912. From 1912 to 1932 another solicitor, Mr B B O’Connor, occupied it Mr Yorke a Stock and Station Agent lived there from 1932 to 1940 when it became Hillcrest Private Hospital from 1940 to 1946. In 1946, Mr Yorke again took up residence and remained there until 1952. Well-known Parramatta doctor, John E Sheehy and his wife Jean moved into the house in 1952 and conducted a medical practice there. He was still in residence there in the year 2001. Interestingly there is a Tregothnan House near Truro in Cornwall which was burnt down in the English Civil War a new house was built in 1652 and is the seat of Lord Falmouth.
Unfortunately, John and Jean has passed, so in 2017 the house was sold. However the heritage and history of the building is being maintained by the new owners. They have lovingly worked to restore the building to its original glory. We are in deed fortunate to be able to share with the community courtesy of Ray White Parramatta and Jackson McIntyre from Heritage Slate Roofing and Qualms Media Photography the amazing quality of this fine building. It is difficult to find reputable Heritage restorers. The roof story and video is from a professional roof tiler who has supplied this vision for your enjoyment. https://www.facebook.com/heritageslateroofing/videos/266780340703507/
Photo courtesy of Kyle Glasby of Heritage Slate Roofing and Jackson McIntyre of Qualms Media. This shows the start of the process, the video shows the work over a period.